The Power of Powerpoint

My experience with Powerpoint 

When I went to school, Powerpoint was frequently used by teachers as a tool to provide education. My first use of Powerpoint was as a student in Primary School. I don't exactly remember the tasks but I had to create a presentation of some sort. For me, and I'd say for most of my class mates, I spent 80% of the time selecting my background. I would expirement by mixing and matching various colours to create the best background. Overtime I have used Powerpoint to create my fair share of presentations; and I don't spend as long selecting my back ground. I have a fair knowledge of Powerpoints tools and possibilities. However, I'd admit my creativity with Powerpoint is not the greatest. I"ve used Powerpoint to combine images and text to create presenatations that support oral presentations. I've also utilised the narration tool, to voice-over my slides, instead of orally presenting. In my most recent professional placements, I have utilised Powerpoint as a tool to present learning to students. Through my study I have learnt or maybe been reminded of the many possibilties this presentation tool has. 

Example of Powerpoint I have created in the past to support oral presentation 

Example of Powerpoint I have created in the past to support oral presentation

How Powerpoint can be used in school

Powerpoint is the most common presentation tool. In its most simplest form, it consists of slides that contain images and text (this is mainly how I have used Powerpoint). Traditonally, a speaker presents along with a Powerpoint. But it is more then a few slides with photos and dot points. It has a number of possiblities including: text, audio, images, video, linking, and interactivity. 

Powepoint is a great tool for teachers to use to present information. Moreover, it is a great tool for students to use to create presentations. Students can showcase their creativity with the use of Powerpoint. When people think of presenting, they think of standing in front of their peers and speaking. For many students, the idea of this is daunting (I was one of these students). However, with the the use of the narration tool on Powerpoint, students are able to voice over their slides. Voiceing over slides, allows students to record multiple times until they are happy with their product. This eliminates the pressure for students to nail their oral in one shot. Students can turn their recorded presentation into a video for others to view.

Examples of Tasks using Powerpoint using SAMR model 

Substitution: Teacher uses Powerpoint to present information about the effects of smoking 

Augmentation: Teacher uses Powerpoint with embedded links and videos on the effects of smoking

Modification: Students independently work through interactive Powerpoint created by teacher on the effects of smoking 

Redefinition: Students are to create a presentation using Powerpoint that educates their peers about the effects of smoking. Encourage students to incorporate links, narrate, video, images, animations, and interactivity. 

The audience are their peers, students should try be creative as they can utilising the abudant features Powerpoint offers. Students could incorporate interactive quiz games to test their  prior and post knowlegde of the topic. 

When students create Powerpoint presentations, they can upload it to a number of sites for others to see. Students can upload via their Wiki pages, where others can download it and view. Or they can utilise Slideshare or AuthorStream, where it can be embeded in any webspace. 

Here is an example of what the final task may look like. Preferably, it would be more beneficial for students to narrate their slides and showcase more interactivity. However, this is an example of how Powerpoint can be used to create a video that can be shared online. 

How to turn your Powerpoint presentation into a video .

Enhancing Teaching 

Teachers should demonstrate how to thoughtfully create complex Powerpoint presentations. Not just a few slides with dot-point information. Moreover, teachers can create interactive slides, build concept maps, create quizzes, add animations, and link to other resources. Showcasing Powerpoint possiblities through your teaching practice, will be beneficial when it's the students' turn to create a presentation.



Comments

  1. Hi Pat,
    I must say I also love PowerPoint and use it quite frequently however reading through your blog was interested to see multiple other ways of using PowerPoint including building in an interactive quiz which I am defiantly going to give a go! Great points on how teachers can make their presentations more interactive as they certainly can become very teacher centred lessons if students are not given the opportunity to interact with them.
    You have included a variety of resources into this post that can help readers extend their knowledge which is quite helpful.
    Thanks for the read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat,
    the slides you have shown as previous resources used in the classroom are very visually appealing and I think would have been useful aids in your teaching. I too have found the use of an interactive quiz a relatively newly found component, and think its another great way to integrate PowerPoint usage into the classroom. If students were to create their own quizzes this could also further support ICT usage in a minor programming sense for younger or more challenged students. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger in the classroom

Images for Learning